Sunday, April 28, 2013

Escape

       As I'm telling you this story, I'm escaping. I lived as a domesticated animal for most of my life. My home was a closed up space, way to high for me to reach. If you didn't know, I'm a chicken. I had pretty much given up hope of being out and just followed my daily routines. As I was listening in on a human's conversation, I picked up some key words, "freedom...chickens...should let them out in a while...they're like prisoners".       
       I couldn't believe what I was hearing. A glimmer of hope shined upon me. I could be free. Most animals that are domesticated have no desire to be free. Me? I lived for freedom. I squawked the words to my fellow hens. They suddenly became alert, preparing for the human to open the latch. 

       We watched carefully as the human  fiddled with the latch. It was a boy and and girl. They opened the gate and one second ago silence escaped and we went into a frenzy. We flew out.

        The taste of freedom was amazing. We flew and scuttled down the road. The humans were yelling something as we ran. Freedom was at long last in my soul.



No comments:

Post a Comment