Friday, April 26, 2013

The Bond That Tied Us Together

       It was on that fateful day when my life all changed. I was in the shadow of death as the hawk soared around the farm. Its gleaming, beady eyes searched for prey, suitable for its family. As all the chicks were hurried in as the hawk was spotted, it suddenly took a risky dive. We waddled as fast as possible, knowing the consequences, but we just couldn't make it in time. Its long talons were outstretched to try and make a lucky catch. Unfortunately, it successfully did this. And, to add on to this horridness, I was one of the two snatched up in the air. This was the end, I thought.

       I'm a newborn chicken living with several of my sisters. We live in a relatively safe farm. Although the rare hawk comes now and then, we can live easily. My life is actually very unclear. I have no clue who my parents are or where I was supposed to be. To makes matters worse, on the first few days of life, I was snatched up into the sky to be eaten.

       As the wind stung my face in the sky, I fluttered about. I didn't want to die, I thought to myself. I chirped to my sister to see if she was okay. I was relieved to hear a chirp back. We needed a way back, fast. Suddenly, as I was brainstorming flawless ways to escape, I was dropped into a pile of soft twigs and leaves. The hawk is going to eat me here I thought. Suddenly, I was very nervous. I eyed the drop from the nest. Then, out of the act of courage, I jumped. As I'm a newborn, I am also very light. So, when I fell from the nest, it didn't hurt as much when I landed. Also, there were piles of leaves gathered around this particular tree that cushioned my fall. I heard another PLOP and I immediately knew my sister had followed me. For a while, we stayed under the covers of the leaves as we knew it would briefly protect us.

       When we heard the screech of outrage of the hawk, we set off for our journey back home. I had watched the path of the hawk from above and knew the basic layout of coming home. I started out, climbing up and through tree branches. After another 10 minutes or so, I began to worry. What if this was the wrong pathway?

       Suddenly, I froze. I felt eyes burning holes in my back. I slowly turned around to find myself face to face with a large bobcat. My sister peeped frantically, trying to run. That was pointless. She fell and lay motionless while I slowly stepped back. The bobcat eyed me. No doubt to him that I looked plump and juicy to eat.

       It suddenly lunged at me. I found myself stumbling until I fell. That probably saved my life. The bobcat slashed at where I had just been standing. I burrowed myself inside a pile of yellow leaves. I knew this would camouflage me. the bobcat growled in anger and turned in circles to try and spot me. I slowly crawled through the mounds of leaves to try to reach my fainting sister. It was dangerous, no doubt, but it was the risk that had to be taken. Or else, my sister would be eaten before my eyes. The bobcat now started slashing wildly, hoping for a lucky kill. I bumped against a plump body and I immediately knew it was my sister. It would be both or none of us that finished the journey back home to the rest of our family. 

       Suddenly the bobcat turned and ran. I wheeled around and saw a cougar approaching, looking for the intruding bobcat. It ran toward the tracks in the dirt, and I knew I was safe for now. I nudged my sister to get her up but she just chirped weakly. I glanced at her leg to find it bleeding. I dabbed at it at told me to put her weight on me. That way, we stood up and slowly walked toward the farm of home. After 20 minutes of hopping and walking, we flopped on the ground to rest. It had been a tiresome day. I went under a shrub and closed my eyes. In a few minutes, i was asleep.

       I woke, not knowing the time. It could've been the next day or the twentieth day. I was early morning, no doubt, and I heard rustling of leaves. I hopped out to find a human face staring at me. I chirped in alarm and began to run away. But, the hand was to fast. It scooped me up and talked soothingly. I began to quiet down when this happened. Just then, my sister peeped out to see what was going on. In a lightning fast move, this human scooped my sister as well. She spoke to us gently. We both settled into her hands as she carried us to the farm. I was back!

       After treating my sister's wound, a few of us were taken by the kind female. We learned the her name was Professor. Hill. She named me "leopard baby", a name I adored. I settled into what she made with her effort, a cardboard fort. It was then I decided who my parent was - Professor. Hill.

5 comments: