Thursday, April 25, 2013

My Chick POV (Also, sorry its so long)


My life at the farm was great, even though it was only for a few days. I was just born, my down just coming out. About eight days old, I had fun with my sisters. All six of us were very warm, cuddled up in a ball under a bright light. I couldn’t see around us because my eyes we still unfocused and glazed. The heat from the light above me made me sleepy. My sisters around me were already out. I settled down and lowered my head to a comfortable position, then fell into a deep, soundless sleep. My eyes were still closed when I felt that my sisters were not around me and I was moving slightly, shifting from side to side. I opened my eyes a crack, drowsiness still weighing down my eyelids. Then in surprise, I opened them fully. I was in some sort of box. Under me was a small amount of mulch. As I looked around, I saw that in one corner of  the small box was a food dish. Next to it was a small water container. I inspected the container and found a spout with a ball at the end. After a few minutes of trying to figure out what it did, I finally found that if I licked it, it would produce a bit of water on my tongue.
Suddenly It dawned on me. I was all alone in my box. No one else was near. My sisters were gone. I was very scared. I immediately started calling for my sisters. My chirps were quiet, but I kept at it for a while. After hearing no response I got so freaked out. I just wanted to get out of that box. My tiny stubs of wings flapped angrily, making the box shift even farther. Thats when I heard it, a soft soothing voice that made me feel warm in my gizzard. I started to calm down, my chirp stopped and I folded my wings back into place. I couldn’t understand the voice, but it made me feel safe. I stopped moving and finally got a good look at the inside of this box. A hole was on the side of it, not big enough to stick my head out, but not too small so I couldn't see out of it. I stumbled over my non-coordinated legs to the hole. The light blinded me and I had to close my eyes for a second. After The light was not so bad I glances out the hole. It was a landscape, trees I think. They whizzed by faster than anything I had ever seen. I started to feel dizzy and went back to lay down. Even though I was scared for me and my sisters, I knew that I just had to stay still and get as much rest as possible. My head drooped and I slept instantly.
The next time I woke up, I was still in the box, but the shifting had stopped, along with the hum I had noticed earlier. My box then moved sharply and I slid to one side. I chirped in surprise and moved around jerkily, trying to get out. I remembered the hole and went over to it. Outside, the ground was not far below and I was swiftly moving towards an awkward red brick building. The door was opened by a funny creature that was obviously what they call a human. Kind of. I don't know how to explain it. Anyways, I was taken over to a room. the door had weird pictures and colors on it, but inside was entirely different. The box continued to move and unsteady me. On the floor was a small inclosment. I couldn't believe my eyes. All of my sisters were there too. They were cautiously pecking at the material surrounding them. I can't explain what happened next. the top of the box opened and I felt a grasp around my body. I spazzed out. This was just too much. My head reached around trying to find anything to peck and I squirmed as much as I could. My sisters, seeing me in midair held up by a human hand. The hand squeezed around me but then gently set me down on the bottom of the small place. My sister crowded around me and asked me if I was okay.
I was still shocked. though I could still tell them what happened to me and that I was okay.
Apparently, my sisters had all arrived here in the same box. Lucky them. When I finally got to look around I was surprised. It was kinda nice. I liked this new place. There were lots of things to play with. Soon, after we had settled down in our little home, the same face came back. Now that I knew it wouldn't hurt me and I was starting to get used to its face, it was less terrifying. This human was being very nice to us, like giving us water and food. I heard her talk for quite a long time to us in a very slow voice. This was going to be my home for a while, I decided. Better get used to it. That night, a few  hours later, I slept with my sisters. The human had gone home and we were there alone. Only a small light was on us and everything else was dark. I fell asleep fast.
The next morning very early, the lights in the room turned on. I snapped awake and looked around. “good morning” my sisters all said to me. I replied quietly and screamed when I saw what I did. A group of so many small humans came in, making a lot of sound. A lot of them were laughing and talking really loud. Me and my sisters flapped and ran around in fear as a group of people stood around us. These humans were terrible. Besides being load, they were also mean. They stuck their hands down and hit us hard. I found myself running for my life as hands flew down around me.
          This pretty much sums up my next few days. People trying to pet me, but hurting me, and too many noises. I got more used to it than I thought. After about a week, one of the kids picked me up and pet me on the head. I bit him and then uhhhhhh my head dropped and everything went black.
Who knows how much later I woke up to find one of my eyes was in pain. I couldn’t open it at all. one eye could just barely open. I went to my sisters for answers. They told me the story. “One kid came and poked you in the eye. You were out real fast. Then he put you back in and pretended nothing happened.” I sighed. Will these kids ever learn?
It was the end of the week. We were packed closely in a box and went for a trip from the room. In a few hours we arrived at a house. A new pen we there and we went into it. The human that took care of me called me something like “leopard baby.” I grew to like her. I found her name was Hill. She gave me a lot of love. Maybe it was because my left eye was still shut. Soon, I decided she was my mama. Of course she was. How could I not see it before? Whenever she put her hand in, I would run there as fast as my little legs will carry me. When her hands lifted up, I would cuddle close. I wasn't scared anymore.. At least of her. Her shoulder was my favorite place to stay. I loved it. I was so high up and could see the world.
My life went on for many weeks just like this. It was a nice life. The children were getting better at handling us. And for once, my sisters and I couldn't be happier.

THE END

4 comments: